Our residency positions are filled through the Ophthalmology Matching Program and our required preliminary internship through ERAS/NMRP (whichever is the correct terminology). The next available positions will start internship July 1, 2019 and residency July 1, 2020. These positions will be filled through the Ophthalmology Matching Program process in the Fall of 2018. Applications may be submitted to the Ophthalmology Matching Program at http://www.sfmatch.org/.
During the 2017-2018 interview cycle, we extended invitations to interview and alternate selections to 66 candidates. Regionally, 36% were from medical schools in the midwest, 30% from the southeast, 14% from the south atlantic, 9% from the southwest, 8% from the west, and 3% from the northeast. The mean USMLE Step I score was 247, although we do not have a minimum score to consider an applicant for an interview.
Important Dates to Remember
- We must receive the San Francisco Match Application file and a short secondary application to be completed once you have applied to our program by September 15, 2018 for you to be considered for an interview. This secondary application consists of a maximum 400 word statement describing why you wish to pursue your residency education at the University of Kentucky. This statement can be submitted to our program coordinator. Please view our program description on SF Match for more details regarding the secondary application.
- Invitations to interview will be mailed out Early October 2018. There are 4 positions available.
- Ophthalmology Resident Interviews for Fall 2018 will be held on four dates in November of 2018:
- Friday, 2 November 2018
- Friday, 9 November 2018
- Friday, 16 November 2018
- Friday, 30 November 2018
- Invitations will initially be sent to a list of applicants the exact size of the number of interview slots available utilizing the third party interview scheduling website Interview Broker. These applicants will have one week to select from the available interview dates, then a smaller list of alternates will be added to the pool. The remaining open interview slots, as well as any later openings available when an applicant switches or drops the interview, will be on a first-come-first-serve basis for the entire pool of applicants and alternates. Those placed on the alternate list will be notified the same day as those on the invite list and receive confirmation from Interview Broker one week later. Because of the active nature of the interview confirmation process, many alternates end up receiving an interview, and our selection committee considers this group in such a manner.
- While we understand and appreciate that applicants may need to change or cancel interviews, we prohibit changes within a week of the scheduled interview date out of respect for our staff and fellow applicants.
Questions by phone or email may be directed to the Residency Program Coordinator, Olivia Turner, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (859) 218-2631.